Apr 10, 2009

Stuck in Reverse

Hello my fellow intellectuals, it's your favourite Cosmo Girl here with some new thoughts, just in time for the long weekend to make you ponder over some of life's interesting phenomenas.

Let me kick off this blog by asking you: Have you ever met anyone that has emotionally touched you in such a way that you felt nothing but pure sympathy for them? And when I say sympathy, I mean sympathy on a level that has given you the urge to swiftly run to a telephone booth and come out wearing nothing but a red cape, a pair of tight blue spandex shorts, a bustier, black boots and the strength to save them like some super hero that saves children from burning buildings? Needless to say, I have recently had this urge, and my natural inclination was, of course, to help. My time at university is quickly coming to an end, and I must say, it has given me the opportunity to meet different personalities, and, anyone who knows yours truly, knows how much I enjoy meeting people. Now, some people I've met, I like... some, I dislike... and others... I just don't know what to think. But one thing is for certain, everyone has a story. Someone I recently met, who, for the sake of respecting this individual's confidentiality, we will call “Robinson”, struck a cord with Cosmo Girl. Robinson comes across as a callous individual, disconnected from life, but still quite intriguing at the same time. I very much enjoy Robinson’s company. You see, Robinson has a very cynical view of the world. In fact, I think it's safe to assume that Robinson's jaded. Why, you ask? Well, that's not for me to share. But what I can share, are my thoughts. If only I could make Robinson see that life is a wonderful journey that sometimes tests our boundaries, but also builds our endurance by pushing us down so that we can emerge stronger people. How do I help Robinson to emerge? How do I guide someone from the obscured path that leads to the death of their immortal self? How do you entice someone that lives in a dark world besieged by mountains of built up anger and pent up frustration to see the light that warms our faces and embraces our hearts with delight? The answer remains a mystery to me and I must say... I don't know. Therefore, I feel helpless. I can’t help Robinson. But what I do know: everyone struggles. People struggle to find their identities... some people struggle to find love... some people struggle to find answers to those questions in life that don't necessarily have definitive answers in this world of mysterious woes. In the end, all I can be to Robinson is a source of comfort. I can listen. I can try and muster all the forces inside this body of mine, wiggle my nose, like a genie, and maybe, just maybe I can grant Robinson freedom: freedom from this fight to fulfill this incredible void, freedom from confusion, freedom from self destruction. But, till then, I shall remain hopeful. I know, in the end, with some nurturing and guidance Robinson will eventually look out the window and see the sun shining brightly and I will be comforted in knowing that Robinson is free and it will be the beginning of a new day for my dear friend Robinson.

5 comments:

  1. great blog. sometimes you just can't help people and they need to see that light and want to help themselves at some point. it's great to know that the world has people like you that want to mend a friend and shake them up! Life is fabulous and only if everyone knew how simple it is to savour it.
    xxo
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to be thoughtful of this person, but sometimes you just cannot reach people until they're ready. Good for you for caring, just don't waste your time if you feel it's going nowhere.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes 'Robinsons' are put in our lives to make us think about our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I feel the same way...I feel a need to help people with their problems...sometimes I feel like walking in their shoes for a week and help them fix up their life and then give it back to me....meanwhile I've got my own problems...is that weird? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't say that's weird at all. Afterall, you gain insight by dealing with and resolving your own issues which in turn can be useful in providing someone else with advice.

    ReplyDelete