Apr 12, 2009

Spring Tidings

Hello ladies, it’s your favorite unseen blogger here ready to celebrate the seasonal change by embarking on the topic that we females just love to dish about… Men. After all, it is mating season.

There is, of course, so much to be said about the topic that takes over many of our conversations, but I am going to have to limit opening this Pandora’s Box for the sake of time, as I should be writing an essay and not blogging.

Now. Men! What can be said? They can be brutish yet still sexy, detached yet eager, bold yet timid, handsome yet internally ugly, strong yet very weak… and in some sad cases… they just lack overall goodness. Whatever the case may be, man has inspired this episode that I’m about to share with you. So as difficult as this may seem to believe (and I say this with such sarcasm) I made a friend. Yes, a friend. A male friend in fact, that I just so happened to have met in one of my classes a little while ago. I do sometimes wonder if he qualifies as being just a friend since he insists on buying me coffee and walking me to my classes. I’m sure I could get lunch out of him too if I really wanted, but, that’s just not my style. He is a nice fellow, and I do want to consider that he's just my friend. As a matter of fact, I refuse to believe anything to the contrary since he is fully aware of my significant other, whose name I mention in every second sentence of our conversations. Though it makes me wonder why this doesn’t phase my friend. It seems to just go past him like I’m saying words like dog, car or shoe. He’s undeterred and he seeks more of my attention every time I see him. Now, I like to think I have a decent IQ, but, what gives? I’m confused. Is it a boost to his male ego to conquer someone else’s territory? Is it the challenge of harvesting a bounty from lands that are difficult to cultivate? After all, man never waged war when something was freely granted to him. This must be it! I mean, it's obvious right? It’s the Pulitzer Prize of answers. It’s the nature of the beast. Man always wants what he can’t have. Needless to say ladies, in all fairness, we must admit that this disease is not just an affliction of man alone, but also women and I will be the first to admit… I am guilty as charged. But, since we’re not here to talk about us or our complexities , we shall go on. I truly believe that we will never understand the rudimentary ingredients that form the male persona- you know, that persona that perpetually makes our blood stir and hearts palpitate. So, all we can really do is speculate. Sometimes I think that the motivation driving my friend may just have something to do with that infamous little trait dubbed ego. It’s quite the force to be reckoned with you know. It’s the source of a gent’s manliness. Let me give you my spin on this trait, Ego 101. Now, when you encounter a subdued ego, bust out the sexy negligee ladies, cuz the odds are, he’s going to dig you more than he digs himself and this makes him a keeper… BUT ladies, when you encounter an ego that’s unyielding, point those Manolos in the opposite direction and start walking, cuz there’s no moving that sucker. You might as well make your way to the pet store, cuz you’re more likely to receive affection from fish. Essentially, the great thing about men is that there is an assortment of them, a variety to choose from. It’s like shopping at Barney’s for a new designer bag but so much better - you never have to settle for less than what you think you deserve. Remember that point, NEVER just settle. Now… back to my story. So, this friend of mine- Do I really need to question his motives for wanting to be a gentleman? Perhaps this is simply his nature. Perhaps he’s one of the few left that believe in chivalry. Perhaps, I'm just looking too far into it and not taking it at face value. Well, whatever his cause for being so nice to me, I’m just going to accept it and enjoy it because I know he knows, I'm well worth it.

5 comments:

  1. I disagree, Cosmo Girl. Why can’t a man be friends with a woman? I have many female friends as well as many male friends.

    It's intellect and personality that draws people together, and not necessarily conquest. What's wrong with a man simply enjoying the company of an intelligent woman? Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you have a friend to share coffee with! You know... during those coffee moments... that's when our personalities come out and play. mmmm... that coffee aroma just puts us at ease to be ourselves. =)

    Enjoy this person's persona while you still can! Maybe there is no chase involved here... maybe it's just the pleasure of sipping coffee with a fun personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I myself have many male friends that I simply adore and would never think of dating. So I agree with you that men and women can be friends so long that one party does not desire more than friendship from the other. Once that blossoms then the friendship ceases to exist and it's friendship no more. Men like you are very few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The difference between gentlemen and pigs is not their different desires. In fact, they have the same desires. I'm sure this 'friend' desires more from you than coffee. The difference between gentlemen and pigs is the ability to not act upon these desires. No matter how much booze is added to the equation. Or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think an important aspect that distinguishes a gentleman from a pig is that a true gentleman will continue treating a woman as a person regardless of the fact that she’s in a relationship. A pig, on the other hand, who is usually only motivated by his own self interests, won’t even bother because he'll perceive it as a waste of time-treating a woman more as an object and less as a person.

    There is a plausibility that my friend desires more, but he has in no way, indirectly or directly, made this apparent. Until this is evident, speculations are weak. Not every man wants more than a coffee.

    ReplyDelete