May 10, 2009

Unbreakable Bonds

They say little girls grow up dreaming of their wedding day. Dressed in a pink puffy princess-like dress with Mr. Snuggles as their prince charming, they play out the sequence of that special moment: walking down the aisle to greet the man they love. But somehow, somewhere this phase bypassed yours truly. I traded in the pink dress for a BMX bike and Mr. Snuggles was actually a fire cracker gun. I was indeed a member of the boys’ club, until I discovered the laws of attraction, that is. After that, I swapped everything for pink nail polish, a baby doll dress and some killer Mary Janes. I was on route to diva status and I embraced it.

Now, little girls grow into women and women still have the same dream of encountering a man worthy of marrying and loving. You see, last night I dreamt of my mother. She was helping me pick out a wedding dress and, like the diva my mother was, she had the entire store totally working for me. I felt like such a star as I was ambushed by an array of dresses. In the midst of picking out “the dress”, the oddest thing happened. I was awakened by my significant other’s alarm clock and I woke to the singing voice of Mick Jagger chanting the tune “You can’t always get what you want.” Can you believe this!? Remaining nestled in my bed, I couldn’t help but laugh as the irony of the situation was just uncanny. I told Big M about what had just occurred in my dream and we had a good morning chuckle. Let me tell you, you can never start a day off badly with a good morning laugh.

But really! What did this dream signify? Could those be wedding bells in the not so distant future? I think so. You see, it’s been two years since Big M proposed under the Spanish skies, while sipping sangria, on a Madrid patio with a toothless waiter. It couldn’t have been more perfect. In fact, it was so perfect, I remember that day clearly. I even remember the beads of sweat on Big M’s forehead from his nerves. Well, actually, those could have resulted from the 40 degree weather we were having, but, I prefer to think that he was nervous before popping the BIG question. It’s more dramatic. In any event, when I think of marrying this man, I get excited. When I think of this man giving me children, I am elated and when I think of dying, I want him by my side. Such a gentle soul to accompany me through life’s many obstacles and triumps. Sometimes we’re spoiled by the gifts life has bestowed upon us and caught up in life’s pangs, one can forget about what really counts. But, by recognizing this means you’ve blossomed. Unearthing the value of what wonderful things life has offered and nurturing it is vital to your relationship. So you see, here’s where everything connects. This revelation together with my dream signifies that I am finally ready! Ready for what you ask? Well, ready, to marry this man and commence a life as husband and wife and create a new generation of little M's and Cosmo girls. I think I’ve waited long enough and it’s about time that I kick this baby into first gear and start to plan my fairytale wedding. Clearly, Mick Jagger didn’t know what the hell he was talking about, and he obviously doesn’t know yours truly.

But I must say, with all this being said, I have not drawn upon this conclusion solo. Remember my dream? Well, I have to thank my mom for yet again opening my eyes to another one of life’s little lessons through her stealthy little ways. With her clandestinely guiding me in my dreams, I’ll never go astray. Happy Mother’s Day ... you are deeply missed.

7 comments:

  1. fantastic, Geri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 question Geri-- Whatever happened to Mr. Snuggles??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother will be so happy for you chiquita.

    Just smack me in the bum when you're ready to go find that dress! OR better yet... pop my toe with your fire cracker gun!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetie, you just described the entire embodiment of "motherhood"...you will always stand beside your child as your mother is always standing beside you. Josie

    ReplyDelete
  6. An alarm clock is a necessity in every household to keep us on time with our daily activities especially if you're always on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you never know what the dawn will bring!

    Very happy to hear this great news. Sounds like you're all ready to jump in and get domestic after a very long engagement.

    I guess the dude in your class from a few posts back is REALLY out of luck now!

    ReplyDelete